Saturday, June 6, 2009

Are you crying out to God?

There is an old saying, "no one ever comes to God from the mountain top". When everything is going your way and life couldn’t get any better, do you seek God’s grace and mercy? When everything you do works out, and you almost think that you have the midis touch, do you humbly fall at the feet of Jesus? And when everyone you meet greets you with joy and admiration, do you long to cling to the rock of refuge?

Regardless of lifestyle or raising, most people are familiar with the 23rd Psalm:
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."


This little psalm has been read, quoted, and prayed at funerals and in foxholes for generations. Someone experiencing the glorious mountaintops of life didn’t write this. These are the words of someone that has gone through great trials and found peace. Peace that only God can give during those times of distress. Are you seeking that peace? Are the trials too much? Do you want to find the shelter from trouble that only God can provide? It’s there waiting for you. In the Scriptures Isaiah declares,

"For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is a storm against the wall." (Isaiah 25:4)


You can have that peace, that protection, and that love which heals all wounds. Look to the Scriptures. They are our Creator’s love letter to us. Call out to Him. Ask Him to make Himself real to you. Trust Him. "Elohim = English form "God". Formed from El = strength, or the strong one, and Alah, to swear, to bind oneself by an oath, so implying faithfulness." (Definition from the Scofield Reference Bible)

"Every Word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him" (Proverbs 30:5)


Look around you. This world full of wonder couldn’t possibly have created itself. We have a Creator and He loves us so very much. Seek Him.

May the Lord bless you as you walk with Him today.

No comments: