Monday, February 16, 2009

Why Don't I? continued

Part two of what I have to say is directed at us saved sinners.

Why I Don't I Serve God?

I previously presented the Gospel plan of Salvation to the lost sinners. The purpose of Salvation is not to provide you with a "fire escape". Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works."

Yes, you are saved for the purpose of serving God or doing good works. To those of us who know that we are saved, why don't we serve God or produce the good works He wants? There are probably hundreds of good excuses, but for the next few moments think on these. Some of which I have used.
FEAR. Yes, fear of what people say or might say. We all like the acceptance of those around us. We fear the possible rejection from our family, friends, and neighbors if we agree to serve God in the manner He requests.

We fear change. We all have a comfort Zone and we don't like to have anyone or anything to push us beyond the boundaries of that comfort zone. "Lord, I am very happy doing just as I do now, and I love you very much, but just don't ask me to change and have to do something new for you".

We fear failure. Many of us think,if I do decide to do what God is asking of me - I might fail. We need to realize, it is impossible to fail (truly fail in God's eyes) if we are doing as God has requested. Remember when God asked you to do anything for Him. Along with the rest comes the guarantee that He will always be with us and will provide all that is necessary to accomplish the work. When we surrender to this leading of God the responsibility for the results becomes God's. God asks us to do a work not to produce results, we are simply workers; He is the producer.

Another reason I don't do as God asks is that I am busy serving God. Whoa, did I just say what I think I said? How can I use serving God as an excuse for not serving God.

Allow me to give you an example of how this can be used and is often used by the good church person. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I served full time as the superintendent of Mt. View Baptist Camp. During a portion of my time there I experienced probably the most spiritually back-slidden state I have been in since I was saved. I am sorry God, I can't do whatever the request might be; 'I am very busy serving you full time. This is where you put me and I am busy doing your work'.

How many of us hide behind the fact we have a position in the church of service even when God is asking us to serve in another way? It can be a very easy excuse to use. Remember we are in a process of being conformed to the image of Jesus and a process is motion not remaining as we are.

A very common excuse for failing to serve God and produce good works is that we say we are too busy. Better be very careful when you use the excuse you are too busy. Maybe you say, my job just takes all my time & I would serve if I just had the time. Remember, God can give you the time to serve Him by removing the obstacles. We are created in Christ Jesus unto good works.

We are to be willing to forsake all ~ our families, our vocation, our everything to serve God. Jesus must have priority in our lives.

The last reason I will give for not serving is partying. I am not talking about a social gathering or a drunken bash. How many are guilty of hosting a pity party? I am guilty!

Circumstances in our lives, wrong choices and decisions apply stress and we find ourselves concentrating on the problem and removing our focus from God. As we deepen our involvement in our problem, we become angry and bitter at God. We begin to see God as the source of our problems, or at least, as failing to solve our problems as we desire.

In this angry, bitter state with our focus on ourselves and away from God it is very easy to refuse to do as God asks.

These are just a few of the reasons, make that excuses, why I don't or at least at times haven't served God as He has requested. Nowhere in the Bible are we told that we must serve God. The choice is ours. Just as Joshua said in Chapter 24, verse 15, "Choose you this day whom you will serve".

If you are allowing some of these excuses I have mentioned or you use an excuse that is different, now is the time to ask God to forgive you of your disobedience and ask Him to lead you into the service He wants you to perform.

The choice is yours ~ we are created in Christ Jesus unto good works. Choose you this day whom you will serve.

No comments: