Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Cure

For many years, possibly for more years than I realize, we have been inundated with self-help books. The people of this culture have been and are searching for that magic potion or mystical word that will transform each man, woman, and child into a well rounded, successful, positive, happy, rich individual.

Today, we have what may be termed an epidemic of low self-esteem, low self-confidence, and low self-worth. We have been told that this is caused by the deterioration of the family and the home, violence on TV, the spread of drugs, the rise of crime and even the fall of organized religion. These are not the cause; but merely the signs and symptoms of the disease which has infected our society. The diagnosis is the eternally fatal disease of sin. The carrier of this disease is satan. The method of infection used by satan is the lie.

Throughout history, the human race has been subject to a number of life threatening diseases. Man has been faced with leprosy, the plague, and today AIDS. These diseases have brought the death of great numbers of people, but, as devastating as these diseases were and are, only a relatively small percentage of the population were ever infected.

Just how widespread is this disease called sin? What percentage of the population has been infected? Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." This verse tells us that everyone has been infected with sin, there are no exceptions given. The word used to denote who is infected is the word "all". As bad as the previously mentioned diseases may have been, none of them infected everyone. Now, since you know you are infected with sin, what is your prognosis? Romans 6:23 says in the first part of that verse, "For the wages of sin is death".

Each of us can look around and see the signs and symptoms of this disease. We can see the horrible effects this disease has on our world, our society, and even our homes. Today, if you were diagnosed with AIDS, you would probably consider it as a notification of your impending death; you would probably consider it a death sentence. The Bible has just told you that you are infected with sin and that the result of that infection is certain death. You have been placed under a death sentence.

Low self-esteem, a feeling of low self-worth, and a feeling of total hopelessness is mankind's response to the disease of sin. Many may have never been told what the Bible has to say about their condition; but just as you and I know we are sick before the doctor confirms it, each person knows there is something dreadfully wrong with them. They know that they are in need of something to make them right.

This would be a very sad world; and I too, would feel hopeless if this were the end of the story. What I have said thus far is absolutely true. Yes, satan introduced sin into this world through a lie and that sin has infected every man, woman, and child that has ever lived, and yes, the results of sin is death, unless there is a cure provided.

Hallelujah! There is a cure for this disease! Satan and the disease he spreads were forever overcome by Jesus Christ. When Jesus shed His blood on that cross on Calvary's Mountain, He met God's requirements for a cure for those infected with sin. Jesus provided the cure with the shedding of His blood, but just like the cure for any other disease, you must accept that cure. If I had a syringe filled with a drug that would cure AIDS and you had been told today that you have AIDS, would you not want me to give you the cure? The problem is ~ you must first admit that you have AIDS and then you must ask me for the cure. The cure that Jesus offers for the disease of sin is much the same; you must first admit that you are a sinner (infected with sin), repent from the practice of sin (turn away from sin), and ask Jesus to save you from the results of sin (ask Jesus to administer the cure to your life).

If you are demonstrating any of the signs or symptoms of low self-esteem, low self-worth, hopelessness, or you're attempting to discover a cure through drugs, alcohol, crime, or something else; you may need the cure only Jesus provides. If you have never gone to Jesus and asked Him for the cure then you need to do that now. The cure is certain and complete and free for the asking. But if you never go to Jesus, the result is just as sure as the cure. The failure to receive the cure is sure eternal death.

If you would like to be cured; you need to simply bow your head and with sincerity say something like the following to Jesus:

"Jesus, I admit that I am a sinner, I admit that the practice of sin in my life was my choice. Jesus, I want to now repent of that sin and to turn away from it forever. Jesus, I ask you to administer the cure you freely provide to my life. Jesus, I ask you to save me. Thank you Jesus for this wonderful gift of eternal life. Amen."

If you have just admitted that you are infected with sin and repented of the sin, you are now cured from sin, and eternal death is no longer your destiny. However, just as we retain the scars and deformities when we are cured from other diseases, we will retain signs left from the disease of sin. These can often be diminished. It takes time, effort, and loving support.

Just because you are now cured from the disease that caused you to have a low self-esteem, or to feel unloved or hopeless, don't expect these to suddenly disappear. When you go to the doctor to receive a cure (injection) for an illness; even though the cure has been administered, there is still a period of time that your body requires to heal. The symptom of low self-esteem advanced with time; the effects of the cure may take some time to become complete.

Some of you, when I say that you need a cure from the disease of sin may have said to yourself, "Oh! I remember a time in the past when I received the cure from Jesus. I don't need the cure again; but I do need something."

You're possibly experiencing a relapse. The cure did not remove the disease from the world and you may be guilty of returning to the things you practiced before you were cured. All of us may, and most will, experience times in their lives when the lies of satan will lead us away from following the treatment of the Great Physician Jesus. When this happens, we are told to again admit our sin and and He will remove that sin from us as well. 1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I was saved (received the cure) when I was 10; but there have been many times in my life that I have relapsed into the practice of sin. Recently, things were not going to suit me. I became rebellious and began to doubt that God loved me. A few days ago, it suddenly became real to me that God truly loves me - Don Huffaker. Yes, I have heard people quote John 3:16; and I am sure I have in the past personalized the verse by saying, "For God so loved Don Huffaker, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life".

How many are like me? What do you think brought the realization of God's love to me? Depression! Yes, I was very depressed. I felt unloved, (by both God and man), without worth in this world, and a total failure in all that I endeavored to do. I was having a real pity party. I was struggling to do God's will and to follow His leadership for my life. I was reading self-help books, the Bible, and praying, but nothing seemed to help the way I felt about me.

I don't remember exactly when or why it happened, but I realized that I was deeply loved and worth God's cure. I became aware of the fact that I, Don Huffaker, was and is worth the sacrifice of God's Son. God sent His Son to earth to die a cruel, agonizing death on a cross for me - Don Huffaker. Yes, I know that Jesus died for everyone, but what is so important to me is that He died for me. And He would have still died on that cross even if no one else had ever existed.

Am I worth anything? Am I important? Most definitely, unless you can say that God's sacrifice of His son is worthless. Is Don Huffaker now to take an ego trip, stick his nose up in the air, or brag about how great he is because he has finally discovered that he is worth the life of God's Son Jesus? I hardly think so. Don Huffaker, apart from the sacrificial death and shed blood of Jesus is an absolutely worthless, condemned, filthy sinner bound for his just punishment of eternity separated from God. Eternity in hell.
My value, my worth is totally attributable to God's love for me; demonstrated through the death of Jesus on Calvary's cross.

God loves you so much that He sent His only Son to die on a cross because He knew that one day you would be born into a world of sin. He knew that one day, you too would need a cure. The illness is very real; the cure is so very simple. Self help books won't give you the cure that you need. God's inspired Word - The Bible - is His letter of love to you. In this love letter, He offers a cure that will start you one the path to health and healing. All you have to do is ask for the cure.

No comments: